as adapted from the Chicken Tikka Masala recipe from allrecipes.com
Ingredients:
(Marinade):
1 c. nonfat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
5-6 boneless skinless chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
(Sauce):
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove minced garlic
1/4-1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (to taste)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 c. half and half*
In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, cumin, garam masala, cayenne, pepper, ginger, and salt (all amounts are from the marinade ingredients list). Stir the bite-sized pieces of chicken into the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for several hours (3-4 hours).
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with cumin, paprika, garam masala and salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, add the chicken (in the sauce that it has been marinating in) to a preheated George Foreman grill. Grill until tender and cooked through (approximately 5 minutes).
After the sauce has simmered for 20 minutes, add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes.
This meal goes very well with cooked basmati or jasmine rice. We haven't done so yet, but this also would go well with some nan bread.
*Note: My bud, Beth, used "a couple of dabs of yogurt and milk" rather than half and half and said that it worked out just fine. So, if you'd like to be a little more health concious, there you go! (Thanks, Beth!)
4 comments:
Yum, Yum, Yum. I want to eat this again soon!
I thought Ben was a vegetarian. Is this not so?
Not so! He used to be vegetarian, but now he eats more meat than I do. :)
The verdict: very good, but very spicy! Tim and I usually like spicy food, but I think we will put in a 1/2 tsp instead of 2 tsp cayenne pepper, and maybe a little less paprika as well. Maybe we are weenies, but it cleared my sinuses! I can't compare it to the one you ate, but I used a couple dabs of yogurt and milk instead of heavy cream, and it seemed to work just fine! Brava!
Post a Comment